August 16, 2009

Some Facts for International Students to Canada

Tuition including compulsory ancillary fees in academic year 2007-2008 for international students to Canada.

Acadia: $13,905
Alberta: $17,739
Alberta College of Art and Design: $14,384
Algoma: $11,976
Athabasca: $8,840
Bishop’s: $13,504 -$14,974
Brandon: $6,470 - $6,966
UBC: $19,925 -$20,004
Brock: $13,333
Calgary: $17,520
Cape Breton: $11,505
Carleton: $14,337
Concordia: $15,506
Dalhousie: $14,082 - $14,892
Emily Carr: $11,447
Fraser Valley: $10,250
Guelph: $16,402
King’s College: $14,596 - $15,406
Kwantlen: $13,343
Lakehead: $13,325
Laurentian: $11,986
Laval: $12,876
Lethbridge: $11,043
Manitoba: $8,916
McGill: $16,043
McMaster: $ 14,591
Memorial: $8,999
Moncton: $8,633
Montreal: $13,067
Mount Allison: $13,707
Mount Saint Vincent: $ 11,299 - $11,604
New Brunswick: $11,992
Nipissing: $11,965
UNBC: $15,929 - $16,329
Nova Scotia Agricultural College: $11,888
NSCAD University: $12,490
Ontario College of Art and Design: $14,605
UOIT: $15,336
Ottawa: $15,077
UPEI: $9,394
Quebec a Chicoutimi: $14,535
Quebec a Montreal: $14,622
Quebec en Outaouais: $13,896
Quebec a Rimouski: $13,826
Quebec a Trois-Rivieres: $14,584
Queen’s: $16,540
Regina: $9,714
RMC: $16,175
Royal Roads: $12,522 - $15,122
Ryerson: $14,867
Sainte Anne: $8,340
St. Francis Xavier: $13,153
Saint Mary’s: $11,649 - $11,749
St. Thomas: $10,152
Saskatchewan: $12,029
Sherbrooke: $12,997 - $14,466
Simon Fraser: $15,155
Thompson Rivers: $14,704
Toronto: $20,367
Trent: $13,728
Vancouver Island: $10,977
Victoria: $ 15,524
Waterloo: $17,813 - $18,589
Western: $14,959 – $15,611
Wilfrid Laurier: $14,392
Windsor: $13,463
Winnipeg: $10,599 - $12,135
York: $15,689

Health Insurance

Each province has specific regulations. Students who attend universities in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan are covered by the provincial health insurance plans - although students in B.C must purchase private health insurance for the first three months at a cost of $120. After that, they pay monthly fees of $ 54. In Alberta, anyone studying for less than a year must arrange for private insurance. There is no charge in Saskatchewan even for ESL students. In all other provinces, students must buy health insurance from private companies. Annual fees vary. In addition, many universities offer health plans that cover such things as prescription eyeglasses, and drug and dental costs.


International students are allowed to work on campus without employment authorization. Such work can be with the university itself or a private establishment, such as a restaurant or bookstore. Three years ago, Citizenship and Immigration Canada announced that full-time international students who have completed one year of study are eligible to work off-campus for up to 20 hours a week while classes are in session and fulltime during school breaks. Students must apply to the government for a work permit.
Those enrolled in an academic program with a work placement may work off-campus, provided they obtain a confirmation letter from their department. After graduation, the federal government also allows students, with authorization, to get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of time they were studying- up to a maximum of three years. For example, if a student completed a nine-month program, a work permit could be issued for nine months. For a study period of three year or more, a work permit may be issued for three years. Programs under eight months in length do not qualify.

Source from Maclean’s

Return to main page

Your Ad Here


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home