July 14, 2009

Want to see a doctor?

When you just came to Canada, you might be worried about your health and your relatives’. You are fine, it is ok. However, if your child or one member of your family gets ill, what should you do? The first thing is to take him/her to see a family doctor. Do you have a family doctor? If the answer is “No”, then this article will be helpful for you.

Saskatchewan Health covers health services for certain special classes of newcomers from outside Canada who move to Saskatchewan on or before the first day of the third calendar month (first 90 days) after arriving in Canada. If you are international students or landed immigrants, you may be eligible for benefits from the date you move to Saskatchewan.
To obtain a health services card, you fill out application forms available at:
Saskatchewan Health Registration and Vital Statistics Saskatchewan Health
1942 Hamilton Street, Regina, SK S4P 3V7.

It is strongly recommended that you purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the waiting period. You must buy this insurance within five days of arriving in Saskatchewan. You should buy coverage for immigrating families, not for visiting or vacationing families. Contact a private insurance company or call the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association Inc. at 1-800-268-8099 to get more information.

If you come to work and make your home in Saskatchewan and you ordinarily live in the province at least six months a year, you are eligible for Saskatchewan Health benefits. Everyone must be registered with Saskatchewan Health to be eligible for benefits.

Saskatchewan Health issues a health services card to each family member once it has approved applications. The card is mailed just prior to the effective date of coverage. A Saskatchewan health services card is a valuable personal identification document which you should be prepared to present when you need health services.

Always carry your Saskatchewan health services card and present it when receiving health services. If your card is lost or damaged, please phone or write Saskatchewan Health immediately for a replacement.

For more info: Click here

Walk-in clinics provide health care if you are sick and do not have a family doctor or are unable to reach your family doctor. Generally, appointments are not needed. It is best to call before visiting to check the clinics hours as they are subject to change. Some clinics are open on weekends and holidays. To locate a walk-in clinic near you, look in the yellow pages of your telephone book under "clinics - medical" or "walk-in clinics".

Finding a family doctor is important to make sure that you and your family get proper medical attention. Some things to consider before doing your search:

Do you prefer a male or a female doctor?
Do you prefer a doctor who speaks your language?
Is the doctor close to your home?
Is the doctor accepting new patients?
Which hospital is the doctor affiliated with?

Other ways to look for a doctor is to call your local hospitals or ask your friends or relatives if their doctor is accepting new patients.

Return to main page

Your Ad Here


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home